Thursday, January 12, 2012

I'm sorry, you do what?!

A little background info to begin this bizarre story.
So my mom works as a Human Resource specialist at an aerospace company, which means she hires and fires employees, at least that's the short version of what she does, she actually does a lot more than that.
Anyway, as part of the hiring process, there are interviews that have to take place {obviously}, and with interviews she gets to meet ALOT of interesting people. This story is an example of a, well...interesting person......

The other day my mom was on the panel for an interview. One of the questions they asked the guy was "What kinds of hobbies do you have?"...get ready for this, & before you keep reading make sure you go to the bathroom because you might just be sitting in a puddle after you're finished here...it's pretty funny don't say I didn't warn you!
The man's answer was "I roll pigeons!"...ummm I'm sorry, you do what?!?! I apologize in advance for any of you who actually do this or know someone who does!
Since this was no typical hobby, my mom proceeds to ask in the interview "Can you please tell us what rolling pigeons actually is?"
Apparently it goes like this. For example say you have 20 pigeons in a cage. When you open the cage, the pigeons fly free, but they are trained to tumble in the air, hence the name 'rolling'. The owner gets points depending on how many rolls each pigeon does, and the pigeons are then supposed to fly into another cage where they are finished. Depending on how many pigeons make it back into the cage also depends on how many points the owner gets. I guess some strategy is to feed the pigeons, but leave them slightly hungry and leave food in their landing cage, so they will know where to fly since they want the food.

Okay really? Does anyone else find this so called hobby really strange? I mean people seriously compete for this? And they really take the time to train an animal as dumb as a pigeon? I'm amazed that such a thing exists! Do you believe it? If not, please look it up on youtube. I couldn't find a decent enough video to share, surprising right?
I told my mom that if they do hire this guy, he'll probably try to start a club at the plant for other pigeon rollers {if they even exist & yes they have clubs at her work, its a large plant haha}
I also told Andrew this story was extremely blog worthy which is why I had to share it with you all.

So what do you think? Any takers on rolling pigeons? I think I'll start tomorrow ;)

5 comments:

Michelle said...

Ummm yeah that sounds strange!

Jess said...

Hahaha this is great.
I needed a good laugh before class!

:)

xo,
Jessica

Jen said...

Lol What??? I have never heard of such a thing. Very very odd...

Elle Sees said...

i heard mike tyson is into that...seriously!

REBrown said...

This is so weird - how do you even do this?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...