As mentioned in a previous post, I have been so inspired lately by DIY projects. I just finished my second DIY project, and let me tell you this one was way easier than the first, and it seriously took less than 10 minutes (now thats my kind of project). Thanks to
Sweet Something Designs I was able to make my very own
milk glass vase. This woman seriously has some of the most creative and amazing design and decorating ideas, and what I love most about her stuff is that it is
all DIY. I don't usually go to thrift stores because I never have the patience to look through all of the stuff they have there, but after seeing this awesome piece of art I decided to give the local thrift store a shot. There were soooo many glass vases that I knew I would find something to be able to complete this project, plus all items in the entire store were 40% off! So I found myself two vases that I thought were pretty neat, and would be good for testing out this project (clear vases work best). I then came home and washed out the vases to get any dust and dirt out of them to allow the paint to go on as smoothly as possible.
 |
| (I forgot to photograph the other vase before putting paint inside..oops!) |
I waited an entire 24 hours for the vases to dry because I didn't want to chance any water being left inside (water left in the vase will cause streaking). After they were completely dry, I filled them up with paint and it was perfect from there.....okay well maybe not perfect. My first attempt was a little disaster. I used acrylic paint for this project, and apparently it works best with latex paint, but acrylic was so much cheaper and I figured it would still get the job done. Well after pouring the paint into the vase it was not budging, so what I did was completely wash out whatever paint I had just poured into the vase, and it was time for another try. This time I added water to the bottle of acrylic paint, shook it, and wa-lah, it was way thinner and way easier to spread around the vase. After the paint covered the whole inside of the vase it was time to let it drip out the remaining paint, so I put it upside down in some plastic thing I found in the garage, and let it drip, drip, drip, and drip some more.

I guess you're only supposed to let it do that for about 20 minutes, but I let mine go over night to be on the safe side. Once the paint is completely dry you can add flowers (I haven't done this yet), and then its a perfect piece to add anywhere in your home. Like I said this project was incredibly simple, and literally took less than 10 minutes. I love how they turned out, and I think I will be making more. Take a look
here for a video tutorial on how to complete this project.
 |
| I love how the purple one turned out, I can't wait to do more!!!! |
4 comments:
this is great so simply but so classy love the DIY projects
You are SO creative! I love this idea...I have never tried to spray paint glass before..but this is awesome!
Ohhh and THANK YOU so much for your sweet comment. Yes the great part about working with the clay is you can completely customize them to fit your wrist perfectly :)
Ahhh so now I am commenting a third time!! I just re-read that you used acrylic paint! Gotcha! Still very cool.
Post a Comment