Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Fantastic Thrifty Finds

Okay, so lately I may be a little obsessed with looking around blogland at home decor, refinishing furniture, awesome thrift store finds, and tons more, especially since I don't have a house, or even an apartment of my own right now. It's actually a bit of a boost for me to work my tushy off so I can get into grad school (which means my own apartment) & then later start my career (which means my own house!). Along with this obsession, I have taken a slightly bigger interest in shopping around thrift stores, and goodwill. I used to hate going to these places because everything always seemed so icky (for lack of better words), but now with a little bit of patience, and some hand sanitizer to use afterwards I am all for searching around thrift stores to find the perfect items to re-do, and make my own.

There is a Goodwill store around the corner from my house that Andrew and I stopped to browse through the other day, and the only good thing we saw was a cute vintage looking side table, for only $7. We stared at it and contemplated what we could do with it, but eventually we decided we didn't need it and we could find better (psh, don't think this way, you'll regret it later). Well after leaving and for the next few days we were both thinking about that little table, so we decided to go back and see if it was still there. I always tell myself if it's still there then it was meant to be, but if not I really can find something better. Well needless to say, that table was no longer there. Since we were there I had to take a look at the other items, and I'm glad I did!

I've been looking for a serving tray that I can spice up a bit, and use it as a decorative piece to set on top of a coffee table with some cute pieces inside of it. That visit must have been my lucky visit 'cause I found my tray finally. The overall shape is in really good condition, it was dirty (to be expected), and I was not in love with the color. For a measly $1.99, I had to have it.

After finding this tray, I wanted to grab it, pay for it, and run out of the store, I was that excited. But instead I continued to browse the other aisles, and boy am I glad I did! I found a super awesome letter holder (or at least thats what I'm going to use it for) for only $2.99. Andrew and I thought it was a perfect find, since at our old apartment we would put outgoing mail in between the wall and a picture frame, while the incoming mail was scattered around the apartment. It was horrible, and I thought this piece would be the perfect solution. The hooks were an awesome addition to the piece as well. I'm thinking to use one to hang the mail key on, and use another one to somehow hold stamps. I love it!


For a whole whopping $5.00 I came out of Goodwill with some awesome pieces. I am so excited to get working on them. Stay tuned for further postings about how they turn out!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...