Sunday, July 3, 2011

Cake Boss

The 4th of July is just around the corner, and I have been dying to make another fondant cake, so I decided I would make one in celebration of America!  This is only my second fondant cake (the first was for a pot luck at a friends house) so I am still becoming familiar with the skill it takes to make one, like the cake boss himself!
Before I share the details about my cake I have to show off this adorable apron I just got from anthropologie. 
I got a gift card for anthro from a couple of my friends as a graduation present, and while I was browsing their website I came across this adorable apron and just couldn’t pass it up, plus it was on sale, so I had to get it. I had been wanting an apron for a while because I love baking and I always somehow manage to get half of my baked goods on the clothes I am wearing, so this apron was just the solution! Isn’t it cute?
And now for the cake making fun!
Here are the ingredients for everything! So simple right?
I guess the ingredients make it look more simple than it really is.  Its not the task of making the cake that is difficult, it’s the time it takes to make this cake.  I feel like there are so many steps.  But like I said I love to bake, and since I have some free time right now I’m going to enjoy my new apron & some baking fun. So here are the steps:
Step 1: Make the cake by following the directions on the box
Step 2: Make buttercream icing (the purpose of this is to allow the fondant to stick to the cake-its basically cake glue, but tastier!)

Step 3: Make the fondant icing (this is what makes the cake like the cake boss’ cakes!)

Step 4: Lay the fondant over the cake, and trim to size

Step 5: Decorate & Enjoy!!!

Well there's the finished product. Not gonna lie, I'm actually really diappointed with it, but I'm still learning so this was good for practicing! The reason it looks like it does was because I was having the hardest time getting the colors dark enough. So when I couldn't figure out what to do Andrew came to the rescue and told me to simply paint the coloring onto the fondant and that would make it darker. I took his advice and here's what happened haha..its a little darker than I wanted but a lot better than before.  Take a look at Andrew helping :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad I could help =) love what you are doing here and can't wait to see what happens next in your life!
~Andrew

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...