Thursday, March 12, 2015

DIY Party Hats...pup sized edition!

Our pups share the same birthday but are one year apart 
Pancake was born March 26, 2012 (he will turn 3)
Ally was born March 26, 2013 (she will turn 2)
I can't believe another year has passed and my babies will be turning another year older
I remember holding both of them when they were teeny tiny little things, and now they've both grown into my crazy, fun loving fur children.
I couldn't be more thankful to have them around!

So this year I decided I would make them each a birthday hat!
When Pancake turned 1 we bought him one from Target but since then it has fallen apart and some of the pieces attached to it have fallen off and gone missing, plus it was obviously made for a human sized head.
So I took it upon myself to make each of them a pup sized one :)

Here's how it went....

Supplies:
Construction paper (or something similar)
Mod Podge (or regular glue)
Glitter (in your color choice)
Party hat template (found here)
Yarn (in your color choice)
Scissors
Pencil
Paintbrush
String (preferably stretchy)
Hot glue gun

How to:


First, gather the supplies you're going to need and have them nearby


Print and cut out the free party hat template, and trace it onto your construction paper (I traced it onto two pieces of paper because I'm making 2 hats)


Then, cut along the lines of the pattern you just traced


Draw some scattered circles to create a polka dot look (or draw squiggles, lines, etc.)


Then, using your paintbrush, dip it into the mod podge and 'paint' the circles.
Drizzle the glitter on top of the mod podged areas and shake off the excess (remember to have the hat you're working on sitting on a scratch piece of paper to collect the extra glitter so you can save it and place it back into the container)


Then grab some yarn in whatever color you like and create pom poms (tutorials on how to make these can be found all over pinterest!)


Here's one of the pom pom's completed


Then fold your party hat around so the ends are touching, tape it, glue it, or staple it and your have the party hat shape.
Lastly, I hot glued the pom pom to the top
I still have yet to add the string that will help attach the hat to my pups heads but it's real simple.
You can staple one end of the string on each side of the hat and then slip it onto the head of whoever has the pleasure of wearing these hats!

So there you have it! Your very own, handmade party hats. 
These would be great to make for a children's party, New Years Eve, or if you're like me, you make them for your dogs :)
Enjoy! And let me know if you make them by sharing a picture in the comments!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...