Wednesday, July 11, 2012

The joys of food!

I absolutely despise cooking which is probably why I'm very content with having a bowl of cereal for dinner.
But recently I have gotten tired of eating the same thing, or getting home from work and not knowing what to make for dinner.
So I browsed through pinterest and went pin crazy with all sorts of recipes.
This isn't the first time I've consulted pinterest for yummy recipes so I knew I'd find some delicious meals.

I want to share with you the newest meal I have tried from everyone's favorite resource site.
It's baked sweet & sour chicken with friend rice
& it was delicioussssssssssssssssssssssss!!!!

I'm warning you up front that this recipe takes a little over an hour to complete.
I'm only sharing this because I realized it right before I put it in the oven
& when you don't get off work until 7pm & still have to make dinner, that makes for a very late meal.
So moral of the story is, make this during normal dinner hours haha.
Photo: Tonight's dinner. Homemade sweet and sour chicken with fried rice :) http://instagr.am/p/M7Sy3QIHhF/
Found the recipe via Life As a Lofthouse.

Baked Sweet & Sour Chicken

The Chicken Coating:
3-4 boneless chicken breasts
salt & pepper
1 cup cornstarch
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup canola oil

The sweet & sour sauce:
3/4 cup sugar
4 tbsp ketchup
1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp garlic salt

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees
2. Rinse chicken breasts in water and then cut into cubes.
3. Season with salt and pepper to taste
4. Dip chicken into the cornstarch to coat then dip into the eggs.
5. Heat oil in large skillet & cook chicken until browned but not cooked through.
6. Place chicken in greased baking dish.
7. Mix all of the sweet & sour sauce ingredients in a bowl and whisk, then pour evenly over chicken.
8. Bake for 1 hour, turning chicken every 15 minutes.


Fried Rice
3 cups cooked white rice
3 tbsp sesame oil
1 cup frozen peas and carrots (thawed)
1 small onion, chopped
2 tsp. minced garlic
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1/4 cup soy sauce

1. On Medium/High heat, heat oil in large skillet or wok.
2. Add peas/carrots, onion and garlic
3. Lower heat, and push mixture to the side and pour eggs on other side and stir fry until scrambled
4. Add rice and soy sauce and blend together well. Stir fry until thoroughly heated.

You should definitely give this a try. Plus whoever pinned the item says that it is only 7 weight watchers points. By no means am I on weight watchers, so I asked my mom (who is on WW) what that meant & she told me she is allowed 36 points per day, so 7 points for a whole dinner meal is great!


1 comment:

Rachel @ Making Life Fabulous said...

That sounds and looks so yummy! I'll definitely have to give it a try :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...